Friday 20 September 2013

Artisan Apron

This week has been a really busy one. First of all I have made a photo album as a gift for a 40th birthday.  I had a wander down memory lane and a brilliant time arranging photographs and conjuring up captions.

As for sewing .... well  I've started making an Artisan apron with my friend who writes the Sew stitch knit blog.
 I have never attempted to make anything wearable before so I have needed some help with this process.
The pattern has been designed by Janet Clare who we met at the NEC back in August. She's a very talented lady!
My friend adapted the pattern to fit me as I'm significantly taller and rounder than the person the pattern was intended to suit.  After much deliberation and giggles the cutting process has begun. It's no secret that I was nervous to start with.  
I'm now at the point where I have cut out 2 versions of the apron as it will be reversible one completed.
The pockets have been made and stitched in place, the side seams have been stitched and ironed flat.  The final part if toe sew both pieces together .... and I'm waiting for my pal to come back from London to help me on my way ... yes I'm a real chicken, but I just want it to be perfect.
Once it's completed I'll add the pictures. I adore the fabric I have bought as it's colourful and vibrant. If I'm going to wear it to work in I need something cheerful during the gloomy winter months.
I was so delighted when my Mum said she might like one for Christmas. (She obviously has faith that it will work out in the end.)  As she's a very talented gardener and flower arranger I feel I have already for the inspiration the appropriate fabric. 

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the finished apron!! Hope you've tried the twin needle!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not yet. I have only had chance to do some hand stitching on other projects as we were away at the weekend. The bliss of Monday was a whole weeks worth of ironing ... 20 shirts! So there was no time for sewing. i hope to get on with it today.

    ReplyDelete