Sunday 8 September 2013

Leaves version 2

I couldn't stop thinking about my leaf work whilst I was listening to the rain fall on the caravan roof over the weekend.  I decided to have another go and use some different techniques.


I have looked a the work of a number of textile artists and like the idea of using HOT Textiles. 
These are demonstrated beautifully by Kim Thittitchai. 
 Go to www.colouricious.com/blog/tag/kim-thittitchai

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        I bought the hotspots when I went to the NEC in August and have been waiting to use it.

I also bought the foils.















I drew a leaf shape on the paper side of the hot spots, then cut it out. I laid the glue side on to my fabric and covered it with some baking parchment. 
 Baking parchment is vita if you ever want to use your iron for your household laundry again! 
 Once the hotspots had adhered to the fabric I placed the foil on to them - coloured side facing up, covered it with the baking parchmentand applied the heat again.
 Slowly and carefully I peeled the foil and left behind a pretty leaf shape of foil dots. The remaining sheet of foil can be stored for later use.

Additional leaf shapes were then added. Some have wadding behind them to give depth, others are cut from scrim, calico and dyed cotton.
Tomorrow I will add some sew details to my creation.  

4 comments:

  1. It adds depth and interest, I expect you are eager to start stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so pretty, such gentle colours and the silver lifts it. What are you planning to make?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it may become a cushion Carmel. I'm not sure until I find the right fabric to back it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it may become a cushion Carmel. I'm not sure until I find the right fabric to back it.

    ReplyDelete