Tuesday 19 November 2013

Wind and fire.

I made some felt last week using 100% mohair fleece and I loved it.  It was so soft and the wool retained the curls from it's life on the sheep's back.  Some how I felt that the piece had movement.  So I selected some threads and had a go at free machine embroidery on to the felt.  I have not been successful in the past so I took my time.
 First of all I backed the felt with a piece of sheer organza.  I predicted that it would prevent the felt from getting tangled in the feed dog area of the machine. (Event thought the feed dogs were dropped for this work.)

I used a combination of yellow and orange threads, so 2 threads through 1 needle to create a beautiful mixed thread.  I also used some copper thread to create a little more interest.
On the greeny part I used a blue/green variegated Sulky thread.  I adore this mixture, but again have really struggled to get it to sew without breaking.  Today I would the bobbin in the same mixture as the bobbin and I had not trouble at all!
                                           In my mind I had a water or wind idea for this stitching.




The end result is a wall hanging.
I can see wind and fire here.  Let me know if you have any other suggestions for a title.  

It's going to live on the wall of my bedroom.




2 comments: