Tuesday 5 November 2013

Peter Pan Story Cushion

I have recently had an order for a story cushion with a Peter Pan theme.
I wondered what to do. I thought about the pictures of the characters such as Captain Hook, the crocodile and the Lost Boys .... but then realised there were a lot of faces to stitch and I'm not in my comfort zone with faces!

I also knew the cushion was for a boy and knowing how fast they grow up I wanted it to last a while.  So I decided that a map would be a good starting place.

I began by using free machine embroidery to create a map of Neverland on some calico.  This took about an hour to do and I really enjoyed myself.  I have stitched in some of the details by hand.

I then aged it using tea.
Then next step involved my friend Peter.  It has taken a long time to trace and make each individual part of the Peter character using bondaweb and felt.  I am happy with the shape so I stitched it onto the background.

Then I made the pocket to go on the back which is larger enough to fit a story book in.  I also stitched the name of the person and then machine stitched the whole cushion together.
You might notice that the face is still not there!
Here is the final product and Peter Pan is smiling.


3 comments:

  1. Well done Jo! The map was a brilliant idea, I am sure the cushion will be treasured, especially with a pocket at the back for secret treasures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Irene, I enjoyed sewing the map and I wanted to make it so that it would suit the little boy as he grows up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea and you are quite right about the boy not out growing it too quickly. Well done Joanne you can feel very proud of the finished cushion.
    P.S. I like that there is a lace for the book to nestle as well x

    ReplyDelete