Sunday 10 November 2013

Honesty


 Earlier this week I watched one of the talking thread DVD's  produced by Colouricious.  I really enjoy these as they job my memory and often give me some new ideas.
Di Wells demonstrated a technique using tissue paper, acrylic wax and honest seed cases.  So I decided I'd have a go myself.
I scrunched 4 pieces of tissue


Flattened them
Painted coffee on to one.
 
                 
Left it to dry.
The sheet on the  textured chopping board.dried and could be used .... the one left on the work surface stuck like glue! Whoops.

All of the pieces were then ironed on a cool heat.

I prepared the honesty seed cases by coating them with acrylic wax.

Then I stitched them on to the paper using the free machine embroidery settings and a fine needle (size 60). The needle needs to be fine so that the honesty case does not shatter.
At first I pressed the foot peddle hard and moved that paper quickly, which resulted in torn paper and threads that were not attached.  So I knew that I needed to work much more slowly.  This is quite different form lots of the other machine embroidery techniques I have tried.
Argh ... It's not looking good!


A better attempt.

 So, I had another go pressing the food peddle gently and moving the paper slowly so that each stitch was quite large.  I ended up with the seed cases attached and outlined with black thread.  I would like to practice and make a much neater version so that I can create some pictures for my home.  

I just love the natural materials and the simplicity of this piece of work.  Some how 'Honesty' feels like the correct name for it.
                                                                                 I hope you like it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment