Thursday 7 November 2013

I wonder ...

   Today my friend and I  I have made some felt using the wet felting process
                     I have yet to decide what I will make with it.  
The yellow and green on is made using 100% mohair and I adore the crinkly effect.

Irene from Sew Stitch Knit is doing a distance machine embroidery course and we were discussing the fabric dying with tea that she was doing earlier in the week. This led on to a conversation about colouring fabric using food/ drink products.  So I looked in the store cupboard and gathered some spices, wet a piece of paper and sprinkled some onto damp paper.

My favourite is the smoked Paprika.

We couldn't leave the experiment there so Irene suggested that we could make silk paper and try adding the spices to colour it.  So, I dissolved some smoked paprika in hot water. laid out the silk tops and added some paprika water, covered it with baking parchment and ironed the silk.




The end result was a lovely piece of silk paper which I intend to embellish with honest leaves.
I wonder how long it will be before the paper stops smelling of smoked paprika?


3 comments:

  1. Just like children playing in the kitchen cupboards!!!! It sounds like you both had a great day experimenting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we really had fun. i love it when the "I wonder ... ?" happens.

    ReplyDelete